Saturday, January 2, 2010

Speaking tips for MUET

SPEAKING TEST TIPS (from the ex-candidates)

It is stated in the format that each group is given 30 minutes to discuss on the question.

Let's say, I am given the second factor (Candidate B).

So, these are my questions.

1) In the first round of the discussion, is it compulsory to restate my own stand (second factor) eventhough I am repeating the same points that was mentioned in Task A without comparing with the pros and cons of other factors?

2) Throughout the discussion, should I give reasons to ALL three factors which I disagreed to strenghthen my point/stand?

2) What is the best way or line to start with in order to oppose other candidate's opinions? eg. Excuse me Candidate A, I disagree .......

3) Could anyone suggests me any tips or strategy to excel in this task? Answers, according to what I've learned from my teachers:

1. Not at all. You can start as if you have not heard or said anything in the Task A (Individual Presentation). However, it's nice to say stuff like "As candidate A said just now..." to show that you've been listening to others.

2. Not necessary at all. I usually support one point because a "build-up" is much more interesting for a discussion.

3. I hardly use "I disagree", I usually use things like, "You may have a point there, but..." or "That's true, however...". Keeps the person from returning with an attack (riposte~!), and proves you facilitate civil and orderly discussion.

4. If you have the ability to think fast and logically, try and search for a point in Task B that can "absorb" all the other's points. I usually do this so that I can use all their points and provide much of my own. I do this even if it means throwing my Task A away.

However, having done years of public speaking, I am quite comfortable with that. You may want to go with your Task A points because they are already in your head (or paper).

Remember, the aim of language is to COMMUNICATE. COMMUNICATION means that you keep a good, nice discussion (no all-out attacks!) and be pleasant, and no complex or formal English is needed.

__________________
You cannot base your actions upon fallacious ideas. If you do, where's the logic in that?

Anyway, more pointers for Speaking component.

1. Task 1 is to be presented to the examiner - so greet the examiner, maintain eye contact with him. dont just read from ur notes
2. Task 2
- One person starts the discussion by greeting the examiner n fellow candidates
- proceed to state own opinion (not neccesary to stick to ur choice in Task 1) - give one point only (not ALL, otherwise u will have nothing to contribute later)
- then either ask for opinion or let someone continue

U r discouraged from waiting to be prompted by others for ur opinion. This is a speaking test - a test of ur ability to speak. No contents = no marks

Of coz, even if u have flawless english but weak contents, u will be penalised.

3. Effective body language is very important here. Maintain eye contact with all candidates. Nod or smile in approval. Dont rock ur chair. Dont play with ur pencil or ur hair. Dont just stare at ur notes or write all the time.

4. Use a variety of language structures. If Candidate A has used 'in my opinion, u can use ' i think', 'i feel' etc. To disagree, u can say 'i'm sorry i beg to differ', i'm sorry i have to disagree with Candidate ?. If u see that a particular candidate is dominating the discussion, u can say 'i;m sorry, may i interrupt for a moment?' or 'may i say something here?'.

Dont ARGUE, dont use rude words like 'WHy CANNOT?' or 'NOOOO, i dont think so.'

5. At the end of the 10 mins, u r to come to a consensus. Only ONE choice. Worst comes to worst, combine 2 very relevent ones. If u have ur own fixed group members, this is easier to achieve coz u must have had a lot of practices in order to come to a natural conclusion. Do not at the last minute, just simply say 'ok, i agree.' Very fake...

6. FInally, another person ends the discussion. Eg: Based on our discussion, we have come to a conclusion that...or Thank you for a fruitful discussion. I can safely conclude that...DO this only if everyone in the group has agreed with only one answer.

By huey80

No comments:

Post a Comment